Wednesday, September 16, 2009

Mr. Darcy, Vampyre - Review



Ah... Mr. Darcy, forever immortalized by the sexy Colin Firth (and I would argue that Mr. Darcy made him sexy). So here we are, Amanda Grange has combined the sexy Mr. Darcy AND vampyres (which can obviously be sexy too) so naturally, I was instantly curious to see what Mr. Darcy, Vampyre was all about. I was a little cautious though. I am a big fan of Pride and Prejudice and I figured this could either be really good, or really bad.



The book begins on Elizabeth's wedding day; her and her sister are to have a double wedding with their grooms Mr. Bingley and Mr. Darcy. Shortly after saying their vows Lizzy is feeling odd about Mr. Darcy - he is acting strangely, he resists touching her, and keeps secrets to himself. To top it all off they end up changing their wedding tour plans to gallivant around Europe meeting disapproving members of Darcy's "family." Elizabeth sees the adoring and loving looks Darcy has for her.... but she isn't sure it is enough for them to remained married.

I have to admit, when I first started reading the book I was frustrated that Darcy seemed off-putting and stubborn. I wanted the charming Darcy! But as the book progressed I couldn't put it down - which is bad when you are reading during your lunch break. Grange adds some interesting and unique elements both to the vampyre story and to the adventures of Darcy and Elizabeth. I thought some of the adventures they experienced were a nice touch. And I enjoyed the ending. Some of the things I thought wrapped up a bit to quick or didn't go into enough detail, but overall I enjoyed the book and would recommend it to a vampire fan... and if you have ever imagined Darcy as a creature of the dark.... or if you like to. The beginning of Mr. Darcy, Vampyre was frustrating to get through because of his behavior, but after you tell yourself it will be alright, it starts to be pretty good and I fell in love with Darcy all over again.


No comments: