Wednesday, May 20, 2009

Bloody Good Book Review


I had the pleasure of reading Bloody Good by Georgia Evans this week. While I was initially put off by the thought of blood-sucking Nazis (literally - vampire Nazis) I quickly got over it and found myself engrossed.


From the back cover:
While the sounds of battle echo through the sky, a lady doctor has more than enough trouble to keep her busy even in a sleepy hamlet outside London. But the threat is nearer home than Alice knows.

German agents have infiltrated her beloved countryside - Nazis who can fly, read minds, and live forever. They're not just fascists. They're vampires. Alice has no time for fantasy, but when the corpses start appearing sucked dry, she'll have to accept help where she can get it. If that includes a lowly Conscientious Objector who says he's no coward though he refuses to fight, and her very own grandmother, a sane, sensible woman who insists that she's a Devonshire Pixie, so be it.


Indeed, whatever it takes to defend home and country from an evil both ancient and terrifyingly modern...

I found this paranormal fiction to be fun and entertaining; my husband couldn't believe that I wanted to read a book about vampire Nazis. Do not let this turn you away from reading BG. There is a war going on and both sides are willing to use whatever means necessary to win - even if that means utilizing "Other" creatures to their advantage.


I thought that Alice was a very likeable character - she is a smart, science-based woman who lives with her grandmother. She is sweet, caring, and quite capable of taking care of herself; which I prefer to the "can't eat, breath, or live without you" type of gal. The story setting was quite different then what I am use to as well. I can't remember the last book I read that wasn't set in present-day time.


Even though the relationship between Alice and the infamous CO isn't very unique, I found it fun and sweet and sometimes a little steamy... I giggled like a little school girl on several occasions.
I did not like the ending however. Yes, this is book one of three but it ended so abruptly it kind of ticked me off. That's how they get you waiting for the next book I suppose.


Bloody Good comes out June 2nd, followed by Bloody Awful - July 7th, and Bloody Right -August 4th.
You can view more information on the author and the books, as well as characters and other fun here.

1 comment:

Everlost said...

Hi Lindsay...like the blog, will keep checking back on you.

I might have something that could be useful...

http://vampirenews.blogspot.com/

I've got a calendar down at the bottom that i am (attempting) to fill up with release dates of vampire books / dvd's / films & events... nowhere near got everything on there yet, but i am getting there.

If nothing else, i get plenty of book review links on the blog every day, hope it's worth a read once in a while!

paul